Strengthening NC’s local governments.
Creating future public service leaders.
Transforming our communities.
A fellowship in local government for recent college graduates.
Over 170 college graduates across the country applied for the fellowship in our inaugural year.
- NC Universities and Colleges Represented: UNC-CH, UNC-P, Elon, ECU, ASU, Guilford, Meredith, NCSU, Wake Forest, Duke
- Of our fellows are female
- Hometown Fellows: Fellows serving in a community with a familial connection
- Identify as a racial minority
- Are first-generation college students
“Anson County’s participation in the fellowship program represents the jurisdiction’s strategic shift toward becoming a proactive, data-oriented, flexible, and collaborative organization. Our fellow, Liam Brailey, exemplifies all of these characteristics. This program has exceeded my expectations.”
– Barron Monroe | Manager, Anson County
“As a municipal manager in NC, we know the struggles with recruiting graduates into local government. LFNC allows cities to search for those graduates who have an interest in highly technical professions and pair them up with those communities who need qualified employees. This program is intended to help bridge that gap and fill community needs.”
– Tony Sears | City Manager, Kinston
Transformative Projects In Government
Our fellows are working on the following projects:
- Grant Writing
- ADA Compliance
- Broadband Access
- Economic Development
- Citizen Engagement Initiatives
- Strategic Communication Plans
- Policy Briefs on Technical Subjects
- Environmental Sustainability
- Community Health Initiatives
- Hurricane Recovery & Resiliency
- Intergovernmental Relations
- Interjurisdictional Collaboration
- Immigrant Communities
- Infrastructure Projects
- Utilities Projects
- Event Planning
2019 PLACEMENT JURISDICTIONS
- Anson County
- Elizabeth City
- North Topsail
- Robeson County
Fellows Serving Tier I Communities
- Of LFNC’s placement sites are located in the most economically distressed communities in NC, as classified by the NC Dept. of Commerce.
Florence Declaration Jurisdiction
- Of LFNC’s placement sites are in communities under a Florence disaster declaration through FEMA DR-4393